By law, any customer that purchases a new television is required to have a valid TV Licence. We, therefore, require all customers to produce a valid TV licence and ID document when purchasing a TV from Mydigitalstore.
PLEASE EMAIL A CLEAR COPY OF YOUR IDENTITY DOCUMENT TOGETHER WITH A COPY OF YOUR VALID TV LICENCE TO:
STATUTORY OBLIGATIONS PERTAINING TO A TELEVISION LICENCE
In terms of the Broadcasting Act and Television Licence Regulations, licence holders are required to take note of and/or comply with the following statutory obligations pertaining to a television licence:
- All TV licence fees are payable in advance, at the beginning of each licence year.
- A television licence is valid only at the permanent address reflected on the licence.
- A TV licence is valid for one year and the licencing period is stated on the licence.
- Renewal dates are spread over 12 months, with a TV licence holder's renewal month determined by the first letter of his/her surname or, alternatively, by the month of acquisition of his/her television set.
- A person purchasing a television set must be in possession of a valid (paid-up) TV licence. A television set may not be purchased using someone else’s TV licence.
- A single domestic television licence is required per household regardless of the number of TV sets, provided that all sets so licensed are used at a licence holder’s residential premises only by members of his/her family.
For more information on the requirements to buy a television or to purchase a new TV Licence, please visit the SABC website.
BUSINESS TV LICENCES
A business television licence is required by businesses (including government departments) using TV sets in their business/commercial activities or on premises occupied for business purposes. Businesses pay per TV set in their possession.